How to Install phpMyAdmin on a Windows?
. Last modified on July 5th, 2023.
Installing phpMyAdmin on a Windows computer will vary based on the existing environment. This article will tell the step-by-step process of installing phpMyAdmin using the following methods.
- Manual installation on top of the existing Apache server.
- Installation via WAMP package.
Method 2 is more straightforward and will automatically install as part of the WAMP package. WAMP and all packages like XAMPP and LAMP also have the advantage of reducing the effort.
In a previous tutorial, we have seen how to install XAMPP. It helped to set up an Apache, PHP, and MySQL database server environment on a server.
Manual installation on top of the existing Apache server
We have seen the advantages of phpMyAdmin managing databases through a web interface.
Make sure that you have installed the following before start installing phpMyAdmin.
- Apache server
- MySQL server
Then, follow the below steps.
- Step 1: Download the phpMyAdmin project from its official website. Download the zip file to your browser by clicking the required downloadable.
- Step 2: Unzip the downloaded zip and copy the phpMyAdmin project.
- Step 3: Move the phpMyAdmin extracted folder to the Apache web root, the ‘htdocs’ directory.
- Step 4: Open the php.ini file found in the PHP config root. Make sure that the file has administrator permission to edit the config.
- Step 5: Uncomment the following extensions to enable them.
- Step 6: Restart Apache and MySQL servers.
- Step 7: Run the phpMyAdmin application as same as you run other PHP applications on the Apache web root.
- An example web address is http://localhost/phpmyadmin/. It will show the PHPMyAdmin home by listing all the databases.
Installation via WAMP package
We have seen a seven-step process of installing phpMyAdmin manually. Now, let’s see how the WAMP package provides an easy way of achieving this.
- Step 1: Choose the suitable WAMP installer and click “download directly” -> “Download Latest Version”
- Step 2: Double-click the downloaded WAMP installer and proceed with the wizards asking the following.
- Choose language.
- Accept the agreement.
- Accept or configure the default browser.
- Accept or Configure the default editor.
- Step 3: Click “Finish” when the wizard prompts.
- Step 4: Open the WAMP tool and choose phpMyAdmin from the menu.
Thus, the phpMyAdmin is installed simply by this method.
Once installed, the phpMyAdmin will help manage the database easily via a web application interface. Previously, we saw steps to use the frequently used tools of this application. E.g., How to create a database using phpMyAdmin?
This application helps connect a local or remote database by logging in via the landing login panel.
↑ Back to Top